Software Engineer – Future Mobility Sensing
Future Mobility Sensing (FMS) is a next-generation automated travel survey system that leverages pervasive smartphone ownership, advanced sensing technologies, and machine learning techniques to deliver previously unobtainable mobility behavioral data and insights. The system consists of a smartphone application that collects sensor data from the phones; a backend server that processes the raw data to infer users' stops, activities, and modes of transportation; and a user interface (web or on-phone) that allows users to validate their activities, and provide feedback. It is currently being deployed in several cities around the world to collect travel behavior data for research or planning and management purposes. Besides continuous effort to further improve the FMS platform, our team in SMART are also working on several extensions of FMS including Happiness Survey that collects well-being information, public transit satisfaction surveys, stated preferences experiments, and truck driver surveys.
We are looking for a highly motivated and proactive Software Engineer who will be responsible for development of the FMS iOS app, and also take part in other activities related to the project. The range of responsibilities includes:
- Development and testing of the FMS app for iOS, which includes development of innovative methods to minimize energy consumption, memory footprint of the app, and increase its usability
- Programming and testing of other mobile sensing devices (e.g. GPS loggers, On-board Diagnostic devices etc.)
- Assist in the development and testing of other components (backend, web-interface) of the system
- Participate in data collection, user support and address ad-hoc queries from production team on the iOS app.
- Manage regular project status reporting to seniors and peers and assist in publishing new findings in journals/conferences.
- Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science
- 1-3 years of related working experience preferred
- Independent and self-motivated, yet able to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Familiar with iOS development
Interested applicants will have to submit their full CV/resume, cover letter and list of three references (to include reference names and contact information). We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.