Postdoctoral Associate – Urban Planning
Within the new project titled “Studying Autonomous Vehicles Policies with Urban Planning in Singapore”, we aim to evaluate the feasibility of autonomous vehicle (AV) policies and investigate their land and transport implications. This project focus on the deployment of AVs in both a greenfield and an infill/brownfield areas in Singapore as well as the development of suitable urban design and AV operation schemes. Part of our research agenda involves the development of the SimMobility simulation framework that integrates and links together various mobility-sensitive behavioral models with state of-the-art simulators to predict impacts of mobility demands, infrastructure changes, and evolving transportation options on the deployment and delivery of people, firms, services and freight. This particular Postdoctoral Associate will focus on the software design and integration for the computationally efficient simulation of combined land use and transport implications for different AV scenarios.
The Future Urban Mobility Interdisciplinary Research Group is currently seeking a Postdoctoral Associate, based at the SMART Centre in Singapore. The job scope are as follows:
- Generating and updating synthetic populations of residents, firms, and workers for particular cities at various points in time,
- Designing and evaluating the performance of land use and mobility scenarios in a simulated environment,
- Collaborating with urban planners and transportation engineers on the design and modeling of car-lite communities,
- Performing complex data analysis and integration of geospatial datasets,
- Presenting research results at international workshops, conferences, and exhibits as well as at internal project meetings,
- Co-authoring articles for publication in top-tier, peer-reviewed journals and conferences,
- Monitoring the progress of project components, supervising PhD students, and regularly meeting with Principle Investigators.
The candidate should have the following:
- PhD in Urban Planning, Economics, Transportation Engineering, or a related field;
- Advanced skill and experience in data processing and analysis;
- Expertise in agent-based modelling, urban-scale transport modelling;
- Excellent academic standing, positive work attitude, good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work independently and in multi-disciplinary teams.
Candidate with any of the following will have an advantage:
- Expertise in behavioral economics and real-estate markets.
- Familiarity with urban planning processes and community redevelopment strategies.
- Experience with programming in scientific languages (e.g. Python, R, Matlab), geoprocessing tools (QGIS, ArcGIS or PostGIS) and databases.
The position will be based at the SMART FM Offices on the new campus of the National University of Singapore (NUS). The Postdoctoral Associate will work with an integrated team of of faculty, researchers and students from SMART, MIT and Singapore partners, namely: Dr. Le Thi Diem Trinh (SMART), Prof. Christopher Zegras (MIT), Prof. Joseph Ferreira (MIT) and Prof. Moshe Ben-Akiva (MIT).
Interested applicants will have to submit their full CV/resume, cover letter and list of three references (to include reference names and contact information) via the stated website. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.