Full-Stack Developer - Smart-phone based travel survey
Future Mobility Sensing (FMS) is a next-generation automated travel survey system that leverages pervasive smartphone ownership, advanced sensing technologies, and machine learning techniques to deliver previously unobtainable mobility behavioral data and insights.
The system consists of a smartphone application that collects sensor data from the phones; a backend server that processes the raw data to infer users' stops, activities, and modes of transportation; and a user interface (web or on-phone) that allows users to validate their activities, and provide feedback. It is currently being deployed in several cities around the world to collect travel behavior data for research or planning and management purposes. Besides continuous effort to further improve the FMS platform, our team in SMART are also working on several extensions of FMS including Happiness Survey that collects well-being information, public transit satisfaction surveys, stated preferences experiments, and truck driver surveys.
The FMS team is an inter-disciplinary research team consists of members from diverse background such as software engineering, machine learning, transportation, and behavioral modeling. We are looking for a highly motivated and proactive full-stack developer that will be involved in the development of various components of the FMS system.
The range of responsibilities includes:
• Developing the web application/user interface for user validation and feedback
• Developing and maintaining the backend system/database
• Improve FMS system in terms of code efficiency, scalability, automation of the deployment process etc.
• Develop the web-application and backend system for extensions of the FMS system
• Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science/Engineering or other relevant disciplines
• Independent and self-motivated, yet able to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
• Have expertise with the following:
• Ruby on Rails 3.2+ (4.1+ preferred)
• Relational databases (MySQL and PostgreSQL)
• Test Driven Development
• Git, usage of workflows such as the Github workflow
• RESTful API’s and back-end services
• UNIX systems proficiency (Ubuntu, Debian)
• Other useful experience for candidates to have:
• Building highly scalable applications
• Familiarity with location-based data (GIS)
• Knowledge of the AWS Stack (EC2, S3)
Interested applicants will have to submit their full CV/resume, cover letter and list of three references (to include reference names and contact information). We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.