In order for your PhD Graduate Fellowship application to be reviewed by the Selection Committee, you must:
- Fill out the online application form using the SMART portal. The university in which you are applying to may require you to fill out a separate application form.
- Provide a research statement based on your interest within the SMART IRG. The links below will be available early September 2014:
- BioSystems and Micromechanics (BioSyM)
- Center for Environmental Sensing and Modeling (CENSAM)
- Future Urban Mobility (FM)
- Infectious Diseases (ID)
- Low Energy Electronic Systems (LEES)
- The application form contains the Referee Report page. Provide the name and institutional email address of two (2) academic referees. Your referee(s) must either be a faculty member from your undergraduate university or a faculty member from where you obtained your most recent degree. If you are currently employed, your principal investigator, senior academic advisor or supervisor can serve as your referee.
NOTE: Please contact your referees at least one (1) month prior to filling out the application form to ensure your referees have sufficient time to fill out the referee report form.
Once you fill this out, an auto-generated email will be sent to your referees asking them to fill out the form. Once your referee has completed the form, an automated email will be sent to you confirming receipt of your referee’s report. Recommendation letters will not be accepted in lieu of the referee report.
NTU/NUS/SMU/SUTD requires your referee to submit an online referee report form. The deadline to submit the form is December 19, 2014. Recommendation letters will NOT be accepted in lieu of the referee report.
If you are applying to NTU/NUS/SMU/SUTD, and choose to provide the same referee, your referee must fill out four (4) separate referee report forms; one (1) for NTU, one (1) for NUS, one (1) for SMU, and one (1) for SUTD.
NOTE: It is the student’s responsibility to inform their referees they must fill out four (4) separate forms.
- Supporting documents (must be in English):
You must upload the following documents in the “Supporting Documentation” page. The files must be in PDF format and should be saved as an individual document, each not exceeding 6Mb. Failure to provide the documents below may render your application incomplete. Incomplete applications will NOT be reviewed by the Selection Committee.
- A scanned copy of your academic transcript(s). If your transcript is not available, submit a copy of your degree audit or latest academic record. [Once you receive confirmation of your admission to the university, you will be required to submit a certified true copy of your transcript(s) directly to the university. Your transcript must be in English.]
If you are applying to NTU/NUS: Submit a copy of your GRE/GATE (or an equivalent) score.
GRE score is valid for 5 years and GATE score is valid for 2 years.
If you are applying to SUTD: GRE is required for Architecture and Sustainable Design (ASD) and Engineering Systems Design (ESD). Optional for Engineering Product Development (EPD), Information Systems Technology Design (ISTD).
Required if your native language is not English. TOEFL and IELTS score is valid for 2 years from the date you took the test.
[NOTE on items b and c: A student who received their undergraduate degree from NTU or NUS is exempt from this requirement.]
If you are scheduled to take the GRE/GATE/TOEFL/IELTS test after the application deadline, you must indicate the date of the test on your application.
Submit your score sheet(s) to SMA3@smart.mit.edu on or by December 19, 2014.
- A scanned copy of your most recent passport-size photograph in JPEG format.
- Master/Degree certificate(s) or Diploma certificate(s);
- Copies of awards (no more than 5);
- A chronological list of research publications/journals, stating all the authors, titles, publishers/journals, first and last page number (DO NOT send copies of your publications);
- A student who applied to one university will only be considered for that university.
- If the student is admitted to NTU, NUS or SUTD the student has the option to select the university through which to accept the PhD Graduate Fellowship.
- If a student has identified more than one potential SMART IRG, the student has the option to select which IRG s/he would like to work for provided s/he have been awarded the fellowhip to both IRGs.
- If a student has more than one potential research advisor from SMART-NTU or SMART-NUS or SMART-SMU or SMART-SUTD, the student has the option to select the advisor provided the SMART-MIT advisor has a collaborator with that particular university.
- A student who is not awarded a PhD Graduate Fellowship will be considered for other fellowships within the university provided that they indicated this on their application.
- SMART will notify the student who have been awarded the PhD Graduate Fellowship via email.
- SMART will provide the Terms and Conditions of the Fellowship once the student provides proof of admission to the University.
- The University will provide to the student the status of their admission. Students must contact the University directly.